YIN YOGA – INSTRUCTED BY VERA RESERA
- Yoga mat
- Yoga blocks or pillows
- Water bottle.
2023 SPRING/SUMMER TERM
- Tuesday, May 9 to June 13 (6 Classes)
- 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Cost $60
2023 SPRING/SUMMER TERM REGISTRATION DAY
Thursday, April 20, 2023, starting from 1:30 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact the programs team:
Phone: 780-483-1209 Ext. 228
- 1 hour class
- Yin Yoga is a slow-paced style of yoga as exercise.
- Poses are held for longer periods of time than in other yoga styles. For beginners, poses may be held from 45 seconds to two minutes.
- The sequences of poses used in yin yoga are meant to stimulate the channels of our subtle body known as “meridians” in Chinese medicine. Yin Yoga poses apply moderate stress to our connective tissues of the body—the tendons, fasciae, and ligaments—with the aim of increasing circulation in our joints and improving our overall flexibility.
- We start the class, lying on our yoga mat, taking deep breaths, focusing on just relaxing and enjoying the moment.
- We continue to focus on our breathing but identify areas where we are tense or tight. By focusing on these areas we are able to use our breathing to simply let go and release any tension we are feeling.
- We continue on the floor, using yoga blocks or pillows to rest our legs as we open up our hip area. Gentle arm movements help us to open up our upper body and release any tension we are feeling there.
- We move on to our sides, lying in a fetal position as we take nice deep breaths to relax. We then come up into a seated position, relaxing however feels comfortable; as we breathe into our lower backs.
- Still seated, we do some more gentle movements to stretch our back, our sides and to massage our internal organs.
UPPER & LOWER BACK
- Now we are down on our knees doing traditional cat & cow, barrel pose and child’s pose movements to work our spine, upper and lower back.
- We continue working our lower back doing a variety of poses that we hold for a few minutes and then move into release.
- Now we are ready for our cool down. We grab our blankets, eye pillows and get comfortable as we lay on our mats and just enjoy the moment.
- We leave our class feeling completely relaxed and happy that we have honored our bodies with care.