Starting June 1,2020 all registrations for June 1 must be done by May 29
How to access ESC’s live online classes
- In the beginning we asked people to help us pay for classes through donations, but we’ve not received any donations. Not one dime. So, in order to cover the cost of instructors and Zoom Licenses, we are going to have to charge for classes.
- For now, classes are $2.50 per class, except for the watercolour class which is $4 per class.
- There are still lots of free classes you can join, including line dancing, joyful chats, journaling, knitters, one-on-one IT phone help, and the Gaining Ability Chair Exercise.
We have to change our process to charge for classes
- We’ll be using MyActiveCentre, https://myactivecenter.com/
- You’ll have to register online for your class and pay by credit card.
- My Active Centre requires you to have a key tag number.
- If you’re a member of the centre, you already have one.
- If you don’t know what it is email us at email@example.com and we’ll send you your number.
- If you are not a member go to website, fill out the membership form which is under more, the second option is membership form, which you can fill out online. It will automatically go to firstname.lastname@example.org and she will assign you a key tag number that you can use to register and pay.
- You’ll need to register for the free classes as well. We are being asked by our funders to report on what we did and how many people we served during this time.
Once you’ve registered and paid
- Your email will be added to Zoom so you can attend the class for the days you’ve paid for.
How the live online courses work in Zoom
- Using an app called Zoom, ESC is bringing you live classes with the instructors you know. It’s just like going to class but with the advantage of social distancing, something we all have to take seriously.
- There are a few easy steps you’ll need to do to attend the online, live classes. You can hear and see the other members, ask the instructor questions. and enjoy a chance to socialize with your class mates.
Follow these steps:
1. You must download the Zoom app. Below, you’ll find URLs appropriate to your laptop, tablet or smart/iphone. Download Zoom App by clicking on the link that represents your device:
- For windows laptop: https://zoom.us/support/download
- For apple products: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id546505307 For Android (non iPhone) tablets/smart phones downloads: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.videomeetings
- If you need more help, click on the following URL for Zoom YouTube Tutorial https://youtu.be/UAa3MADuvsg
2. You’ll get a new invite for every week so make sure you choose all the classes you want to attend.
3. When you get the invite in your email, click on the link about 5 minutes before class begins. The link will take you to the live class. Sending invitations keeps you safe online.
Zoom and Google live meeting etiquette
- Join early – up to 5 minutes before the meeting start time. Please don’t come to class late. It is a live class and late comers interrupt the flow of the class.
- If you haven’t used Zoom or Google Hangouts before click the link to download Zoom or set up your Gmail account prior to the day of the meeting and familiarize yourself with any features you may need to use on the day – mute/unmute microphone, stop/start video, screenshare etc.
- Have your video on unless you are experiencing connection issues
- Find a quiet space without interruptions / background noise
- Don’t do anything on camera you wouldn’t do in a class full of people. Keep your clothes on, don’t point the camera toward private rooms in your space
- Have good lighting on your face so you can be seen clearly
- Adjust your camera to be at around eye level if possible – especially take note of the angle of your laptop or phone screen if using the built-in camera.
- Mute your microphone when not talking and remember everyone can hear you! Be respectful.
- Try to avoid talking over / at the same time as other participants
- Be aware you are on camera and try to avoid doing other tasks, checking emails, looking at your phone etc.
How to get a Gmail address if you don’t already have one
- You’ll need a free Gmail account. Here’s how to get your own Gmail account.
- Write down your email address and password as you’ll need those to access the classes on Google Hangouts. This URL will take you to how to set up a Gmail account. You can also put Gmail in our search engine and go to the page that allows you to choose your email name and password.
https://accounts.google.com/signup/v2/webcreateaccount?flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=SignU p The URL below tells you how to add Gmail/Hangouts to your smart phone.